[X3D-Public] Vendor agnostic/neutral icon(s)?

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 09:46:17 PDT 2014

>>> Don,
>>> OK thanks - I'll study.
>>> -Doug
>>> more..
>>> Ideally
>>> 1. family: .wrl .x3d and newer related would have a
>>> similar/familiy/theme icon look, so they look like they belong
>>> together, but slightly different. to hint they aren't the same and
>>> different apps may handle them.
>
> Ahh, please study MIME and words associated with any mime type. When
> we requested officlal ecognition, we did not include a request for a
> family of icons,
>
> Hints are no much use without documentation that is available and
> follows some common practices or some spec. Will this be in your user
> manual? "When we install, we assign one of these icons (different for
> each X3D and X3D file extension, please see table. We proudly change
> file types we do not handle but are in our beloved family of
> 'standard' X3D or VRML file type icons to this (grayed out example)."
>
>>> 2. grayable if not handled.
>
> Big trespass to mess with file types you do not handle.
>
> Don't talk to the gallery on this, work directly with other browser
> and tool makers to define an industry best practice.
>
> Besides, if I install your app and it will be used by default to open
> the file, then for heck's sake, put your own icon on there so I know
> because there is no neutral vendor when the user clicks on the thing.
> Most systems will try to help find an uncliamed file type. But I don't
> know, is the file extension even shown to the common user?

You can set your FileExplorer preferences to show the file extension.
And perhaps that's my confusion. I'm thinking of the icon like a file extension. But it seems to mean "vendor app" to FileExplorer.
Another approach is to have a 'standard web3d handler tool' installed, and it delegates to web3d tools installed, and you can set your default tool in the handler. So you wouldn't be trespassing, you'd be handling.
-Doug

> All Best,
> Joe
>
>>> 3. Small icons are needed for the shell 16x16 I think? Can't get
>>> much in there.
>>> 4. and -as usual- differentiation from other common app icons
>>>
>>> From below, just the old (sphere,box,cone) might work, if it can be
>>> differentiated slightly (yet show family/heritage/lineage) for
>>> x3d,vs vrml (future json). and grayable:
>>> ttp://dug9.userssourceforge.net/web3d/icons/vrml3_16.gif
>>> ttp://dug9.userssourceforge.net/web3d/icons/vrml3_gray_16.gif