[x3d-public] My request: backstory

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 08:41:49 PDT 2015

Alan,
I would go back a bit farther in time. Blacksmithing is an analogy I like to apply to codesmithing.
http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc5/c/na-2466-1.jpg
We don't use blacksmiths now. If our wheel breaks, instead of asking a local shop to hammer molten metal to repair it, we buy a new wheel which comes through a distribution channel from a mass manufacturer. Same with many computer skills - the last 4 decades have gone through a transition similar to that seen in metal work: from local shops doing custom laborious work, to off-the-shelf efficiently mass-manufactured and distributed low cost software and pre-templated web components and media snippets. There's a bit of local labor to order the right parts and bolt them together, and a bit of labor in the upstream efficient manufacturing. But for those seeking that old-fashioned role of master craftsman -sweat pouring from the brow- it's rare these days.
-Doug