[x3d-public] A note on standardization.

Alan Grimes ALONZOTG at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 15:41:35 PDT 2015

Christoph Valentin wrote:
> [Christoph:] I'm not sure if I'm aware of the whole 3D universe, but according to my knowledge there are at least two standards that stick to declarative 3D principles: X3D and X3DOM.
> When I use the term "Web3D Browser", I mean "anything that sticks to declarative 3D principles according to Web3D Consortium".
> My dream is to have concurrent Web3D Browsers in one and the same multiuser session (sharing the same state).
> I.e.: Users "Alice", "Bob" and "Charlie" are meeting in a scene. "Alice" uses X3DOM within Mozilla, "Bob" uses "X3DOM" within IE and "Charlie" uses Octaga Player.
> In this case, at least the communication protocol must be standardized, better having the interface standardized, too (i.e. the network sensor), to ease the automatic translation of models for use within different Web3D Browsers.
> I think, a minimum of standardization is necessary, if we want to achieve this goal.

Okay, the way I see that happening is by means of an intermediary
server. I think I saw a standard called "DIS: Distributed Interractive
Simulation" or something, The client would be relatively thin, just a
graphics terminal to a simulation run, or synchronized by a server which
may be linked through DIS to a broader network of servers.

The main issue is being able to write client scripting code that can
dynamically update the scene displayed based on external events and be
able to detect user interactions with the local presentation and relay
those updates back to the server. This functionality will be necessarily
built into the web browser, all other functionality can be done with
Jquery or other existing standards, ie a simple re-use of existing
dynamic web page technology.

--
IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.

Powers are not rights.