[x3d-public] [x3d] Ideas for discussion during V4.0

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 00:41:00 PST 2015

Andreas wrote:
> - many will see x3d just as static 3d content (Shape) format to be
imported into a webgl canvas controlled by three.js or exported from blender

That's where I hope tools like d3.js will take off with dynamic x3d,
similar to dynamic html.  Rather than the view determining the data, the
data determines the view.  Does anyone have code for spawning dynamic
protoinstances?  That's where we need to head.  Think of tables that expand
and contract to fit data, even though they may be paginated.  You can also
think of hordes of monsters.  Yes, I realize there should be limits.  The
question is, does the limit go in the view or in the data or both?  How
high should the limit be?

We should also show variations on a theme.  This may be where web
components fail and protos succeed.