[x3d-public] [x3d] Ideas for discussion during V4.0 Concepts: Name scopes and node name conflicts

Kristian Sons kristian.sons at dfki.de
Fri Dec 4 03:15:05 PST 2015

Michael, X3D community,

I think you raise some very good and valid points here. X3D is at a
point where patchwork solutions will not be enough to remain relevant.
Hence in my opinion its not just about nodes and encodings that need to
be re-considered, but also some of the fundamental concepts.

I hope that this discussion (I tried to encourage as well with my mail)
has not died but is continued on the member mailing list.

Best,
   Kristian

> Being not a deeply technical computer graphics person, but being a
> member of the Board as a Professional Member representative, I wanted
> to voice my opinion regarding the direction of X3D 4.0 as I interpret
> it from Don's post below.
>
> To remain a viable and robust 3D standard for years to come, and to in
> fact be an archival 3D standard, X3D must remain relevant. When I say
> relevant, that means to be easy to understand, to take advantage of
> current technology trends and to be widely adopted. Whereas X3D has
> weathered many ups and downs in the 3D industry over the past 25
> years, outlasting numerous 3D files formats and initiatives, it is a
> completely different environment now.
>
> The democratization of 3D content is upon us, fueled by decades of
> video game technology providing the impetus for better and better
> software tools, higher and higher performance graphics hardware, and a
> culture that now demands 3D experiences both within and without of the
> video gaming experience.  These forces have permeated the mobile
> industry, which is rapidly becoming the hardware platform of choice.
> WebGL has enabled 3D within browsers without a plugin, making the
> browser an ideal distribution vehicle for 3D data and content,
> regardless of the device.  Soon all mobile devices will be 3D content
> generators, thanks to built in 3D cameras, and virtual reality
> displays, thanks to Cardboard and GearVR (and others to come).
>
> In my opinion, X3D cannot wait out the 3D storm this time, because
> forces influencing this industry are going to fundamentally change how
> 3D fits into society, (think 3D printing, VR videos, etc.). X3D must
> adapt to meet this change, and with the web being the ideal
> distribution vehicle, X3D must adapt to the HTML environment.  Don's
> post to me speaks instead to a stay the course strategy, maintaining
> paradigms in contradistinction to HTML. There are key concepts in X3D
> which clash with HTML, and if not reconciled, this will be to X3D's
> detriment and potential road to irrelevance.  Why?  Simple: Compare
> the number of web developers to the number of X3D developers; the
> difference is several orders of magnitude! This is the target audience
> of X3D, and they will not tolerate learning 2 different ways to do
> many of the functions necessary to create a dynamic 3D environment.
> Some may say that different vertical industries will create their own
> proprietary applications and that web development is irrelevant, and I
> argue that while that is true, the volume and value of those
> applications pale in comparison to web applications within any
> industry.  Being part of one of the biggest vertical industries
> (healthcare) as an IT executive, I can tell you that off-the-shelf
> technology based on the web/cloud is the preferred choice.  Web
> applications are easier to maintain, easier to implement and easier to
> have personnel trained on their use.

> [...]

Kristian Sons
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH, DFKI
Agenten und Simulierte Realität
Campus, Geb. D 3 2, Raum 0.77
66123 Saarbrücken, Germany

Phone: +49 681 85775-3833
Phone: +49 681 302-3833
Fax:   +49 681 85775–2235
kristian.sons at dfki.de
http://www.xml3d.org

Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313