[x3d-public] Earth Navigation [was: x3d-public Digest, Vol 81, Issue 8]

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Fri Dec 4 08:45:57 PST 2015

Clement,

I have a simple example at
http://tools.realism.com/x3d-examples/EarthNavigation/index.html. This
does everything except the 2D rotation. I put this together in about 1
hour using existing stock X3D/X3DOM capabilities.

To reproduce the 2D rotation, the control+buttons event would need to be
captured prior to the existing Navigation and the proper orientation
algorithm applied. I don't have the time to work on this right now. I
would start with seeing if jQuery could capture a button down event on
the <scene> tag (id='x3dScene' in this example) prior to Navigation
getting it. The it becomes a simple matter of applying the correct
algorithm based on the starting position and the current cursor position
in the X3D window.

At this time I am having a hard time trying to figure out the conditions
when you would want to use the feature to change the ground-plane
orientation. If you could describe a situation when this would be useful
(or needed), I may be able to develop an alternative.

If you want to just be able to "straighten-up" the Earth so that North
is vertical while keeping the same lat/long in the center of the screen,
then an HTML button could be used to perform this reorientation. That
would involve changing the 'orientation' field in the Viewpoint node (in
EarthNavigator.x3d). The hardest part is figuring out the new rotation
angle and vectors.

Leonard Daly