[x3d-public] [x3d] Ideas for discussion during V4.0

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:39:41 PST 2015

Don,

thanks for the invitation to participate in a teleconference. I realize that some of the items may have been too abbreviated to be understood properly.

Let me mention that after rereading my own list only a few items stand out:

- web programmers are unlikely to accept the x3d script node since there is already a script element;
- I should try to build a x3dom based web component to learn about the potential. (Custom elements using other custom elements shouldn't be a problem ? )
- native web browser x3d support is unlikely (in the short term) even after a full 'polyfill', so it should not enter the discussion

An additional item would be that the careful definition of how time is treated by x3d for simulation purposes is special and will need alignment with how the DOM treats time.

Overall, I do think on the very large web there is room for both a fully backwards compatible x3d with all features and perhaps limited interaction with the DOM (rest of the page), as well as a web optimized, more limited x3d (web profile) with full and easy access from the DOM and an expectation that all dynamic aspects (business logic) are controlled by this access (but ROUTES and Interpolators are really convenient ...).

Andreas