[x3d-public] Moving Worlds - VRML2.0 a short history

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:31:23 PST 2015

Very interesting to read the original discussions on how to go from
"static" VRML 1.0 to "dynamic" VRML 2.0 with behaviours, scripting and
protos. It seems that webgl, the DOM and fast javascript now bring up very
similar questions again.

Quite a few design decisions were based on the requirement for efficiency
in a 3d browser in the mid 90's.

Of all the referenced documents I found the final summary of the changes in
VRML 2 and the reasons for them most illuminating:

http://www.mitra.biz/vrml/vrml2/sgi_design_15jan96.html

-Andreas

Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 20:17:35 +0100
> From: Holger Seelig <holger.seelig at yahoo.de>
> To: x3d-public at web3d.org
> Subject: [x3d-public] Moving Worlds - VRML2.0 a short history
>
> Very cool. article, that goes deep into the history of VRML2.0:
>
> http://www.mitra.biz/joomla/index.php/writings/3037-movingworlds
>

> --
> Holger Seelig
> Mediengestalter Digital ? Digital Media Designer
>
> Scheffelstra?e 31a
> 04277 Leipzig
> Germany
>
> Cellular: +49 1577 147 26 11
> E-Mail:   holger.seelig at yahoo.de
> Web:      http://titania.create3000.de
>
> Future to the fantasy ? ?

> End of x3d-public Digest, Vol 81, Issue 32

Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.
Waltham, MA 02453