[x3d-public] X3D XML Encoding lacks -explicit- support for NULL nodes

Roy Walmsley roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 13 03:59:37 PST 2015

I too found this to be an interesting example. Thanks, for supplying it
Holger.

I appreciate your review below Don.

I was considering it from the point of view of an encoding and validation. I
looked at 5.13 SFNode and MFNode in both 19776-1 XML encoding and 19776-2
Classic VRML encoding. While the both permit the value of an SFNode field to
be NULL, there is no text indicating that NULL can appear in an MFNode
field.

In a general sense it seems to be reasonable to allow NULL to represent an
empty value in an MFNode. However, I don't think it should be permitted as a
root node.

In a Classic VRML encoding I can see that you might write, for example:

	Transform { children [Box {} Cyinder {} NULL Cylinder{} Box {}]}

It would be reasonably clear what the intent is. Implementations should find
it straightforward to implement. Furthermore, the ordering is clear.

Now, consider the same as an XML encoding. And for the sake of the example
let's include the specific container field values.

	<Transform>
		<Box containerField="children"/>
		<Cylinder containerField="children"/>
		<NULL containerField="children"/>
		<Cylinder containerField="children"/>
		<Box containerField="children"/>
	</Transform>

So similarly, reasonably clear what the intent is.

What about ordering? Do we ever say anything about it in the specifications?
Or do we just assume that an implementation will read them and add them in
the order given?

I feel a couple of specification comments are on the horizon ...

Regards,

Roy