[x3d-public] Use of containerField in V4+

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Mon Dec 14 13:06:17 PST 2015

A long (Internet-) time ago, the X3D Working Group came up with the idea
of containerField to indicate which child element belonged to which
parent field. This only really applies when an X3D node has fields that
can be nodes. E.g., Transform can have 'children' to define geometry and
appearance and metadata to define metadata. Most of the time the
relationship is obvious, especially when a field can can only contain
one type of node.

In all of the XML I have seen for many other applications (documents,
books, medical records, government records, etc.) do not use that sort
of structure. Everything is put into explicit child nodes. That would
mean something like Transform would be:

<Transform ...>
     <children>
         <Shape>...</Shape>
         <Shape>...</Shape>
         <Shape>...</Shape>
     </children>
     <metadata>
         <MetadataString ... />
         <MetadataFloat ... />
         <MetadataInteger ... />
         <MetadataString ... />
         <MetadataString ... />
     </metadata>
</Transform>

This completely eliminate the ambiguity of use without a containerfield
with the expense of adding in an extra layer for every use. I think this
format is easier to read and certainly parses easier in standard parsers
that come with PHP and Perl.

Do other people have any thoughts on this?

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant