[x3d-public] [x3d] Use of containerField in V4+

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 14 16:16:52 PST 2015

>  ... the X3D Working Group came up with the idea of containerField
> to indicate which child element belonged to which
parent field.

wellm maybe ... to indicate that a child element can be part of the
parent field, and/or that the contained stuff was off a specific child
type, and so on. .

I thought we wouldn't need it because the schema can tell all.
It turns out so far the schema cannot tell all in at least one
instance, so we needed something.

So, instead of a containing structure named for the contained
structure which is fine in VRML but is horrible in X3D XML we have
concrete nodes that sometimes seem to need this attribute defined as
other than the mostly obvious default.

>     <children>
>     </children>

Isn't it pleasant to have children and /children everywhere just to
specially announce their presence and claim their indention.

> Transform can have 'children' to define geometry and appearance and
> metadata to define metadata.

and <metadata> ... </metadata> would be container nodes

> Do other people have any thoughts on this?

Please, those are a not necessary containing structure named for the
contained structure(s).
Follow through with full production of our beloved <Shape>...</Shape>
node to see all, or at least a lot of it.

> format is easier to read and certainly parses ...

Make a schema too. Note that there are plenty container nodes, like
children but with different names, available for use. In fact, please
find that there is a unique <containername> ... </containername> set
for each different containerField you can find.

Thanks and Best,
Joe