[x3d-public] X3D After V3

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 17 07:40:16 PST 2015

Leonard,
Usage statistics from v3 might help, if anyone collects them.
-Doug
more..
I've been thinking of usage tracking for freewrl. We never know how many real users there are (downloads counts are fattened by mirror-bots), how often they run, or what nodes types in what quantities they use. No one likes being tracked. Unless its anonymous and for a good cause and they have an opt-out choice and the data collected is very generic statistics. Then a server program is needed so a program can call home with the usage statistics. Big Data storage. Then some statistical analysis. Likely there are logarithmic usage curves -like The Long Tail (book)- a few nodes are used very infrequently, and some nodes are used all the time. Transform is my guess for the the most used node. If you had the node usage sorted by frequency as a logrithmic graph, then you could 'cut off' at various support levels.
more..
The line of your thinking these days appears to me to be toward break web3d.org out of the oligopoly mode: is it fair that volunteers for web3d.org do all their work for a dozen interested parties/browser developers? But then those dozen serve 10s of thousands. Having said that, if you can make the specs simpler, so there are more developers making more tools using web3d specs at some level, that would in theory broaden the base. And stop erosion of market share by GLAM and other simpler declarative 3d formats. My own experience: it's hard to differentiate a web3d browser. They all do about the same thing. So in theory a monopoly would work. One browser that runs on all platforms and has all the nodes. It's already broader based than it absolutely needs to be already.
Except that I keep finding weird/interesting things to do on top of the basic web3d browser.