[x3d-public] "Grandfather Of VR: The Virtual Can Show The Beauty Of The Real" interview with Thomas Furness

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Dec 19 05:45:38 PST 2015

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/12/17/459839163/grandfather-of-vr-the-virtual-can-show-the-beauty-of-the-real
"Grandfather Of VR: The Virtual Can Show The Beauty Of The Real"
Jamala Henderson interview with Thomas Furness
NPR All Tech Considered

Excerpt:

"JH. It seems like virtual reality has been on the cusp of emerging into mainstream use for years. But a lot of people now think that VR will be a major tech theme for 2016. What's changed?

TF. We have the technology that we never had. We certainly had the dreams before, but the computing just wasn't good enough. Nor did we have the screens that had high enough resolution. ... The shifting is now going from the delivery technology to what is the content. So I think in 2016 people are going to be buying these things, and then it's going to be the heyday for the people who generate content."

Professor Furness is founder of the Virtual World Society.
http://virtualworldsociety.org

"Welcome to the Virtual World Society, a community of pioneers and latter-day adventurers seeking to explore and guide VR and AR technology to solve pervasive problems in the world. We are in the formative stages of organizing the Society and invite comments and recommendations from people in all aspects of technological wonders that unlock and link minds."
- Tom Furness III, Founder and Director of the HITLab International