[x3d-public] [x3d] Use of containerField in V4+

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Dec 19 09:54:29 PST 2015

On 12/16/2015 8:04 AM, Leonard Daly wrote:
> On 12/15/2015 3:54 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
>> containerField describes a node's relationship to its parents.  The default values are typically not needed by authors or generators.
>
> Do you mean "... typically sufficient for authors or generators"? If not, I do not understand the above statement.

yes

>  Can you please clarify?

in the great majority of cases they don't need to worry about containerField because it is taken care of for them.

>> Debate on this topic was a lengthy effort a long time ago. Wrapper tags only simplify rare occurrences,such as Collision node children, distinguishing between a 'proxy' Shape and 'children' Shape nodes.
>
> There is also the need for 'containerField' with MetadataSet. It is used in the X3D resources at http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/development/_pages/page39.html (http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/development/MetadataExamples.html).
>
> For those few cases when a 'containerField' is required, is it reasonable to define wrapper tags. That way 'containerField' could be eliminated (deprecated). Many people I talk to are confused how to properly use 'containerField' or know when it is required. Using wrapper tags for the rare cases when it is needed will address most of the concerns listed on the page below while making the structure of the X3D field easier to understand.

Possibly... but based on many prior efforts am not optimistic.  It sounds straightforward but it is often difficult or impossible to integrate such a change in the content-model design patterns for contained nodes because they get so convoluted/confounded so quickly due to non-deterministic child sequencing requirements.

Paraphrased, a "simple" pattern for authors can sometimes by a byzantine/unmanageable pattern for spec or tool developers.

>> Extensive reasons against wrapper tags in the XML encoding can be found in
>> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/development/WrapperTagsConsideredHarmful.html
>>
>> As a result we have a much terser XML encoding with corresponding reductions in file size, transfer times and scene loading.
>>
>> Meanwhile, the developmental JSON encoding currently uses the field names directly, similar to the manner that you describe. Also seems to parse OK.
>>
>> I think this illustrates the difference between a document-oriented encoding like XML and an object-oriented encoding like JSON.

I updated the supporting example to show full number of wrapper tags which should be provided (attached).

Scene includes 21 nodes, 34 open/close element tags, 44 wrapper tags, producing 78 scene-graph tags total if wrapper tags are required.