[x3d-public] X3D JSON encoding: Purpose and Comments

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Dec 23 07:49:31 PST 2015

I have been following the discussion on JSON for a while. I got behind
on email reading, so I don't know if this was addressed after this email.

I think there is one question that need to be asked first:

*What is the purpose of the JSON encoding?*

JSON is used for a variety of purposes, including efficient data
transfer, storage, and archive. Each of these purposes has its own
requirements. For example for transfer you typically want a compact
format that takes little time and memory to process on the receiving
end. Small sizes are important for archive formats, but they also need
to have longevity. Taking additional time to unpack is generally not a
problem.

If a file is hand-created or edited; then comments are important. While
auto-generated, intermediate, or data-base generated files typically do
not have comments (or contain only minimal comments).

So, back to my question. If the JSON format is primarily for transfer,
then it should be compact and without non-essential data. Since comments
are not part of the X3D content model; they are non-essential data to
the file and should not be included in it.

If the purpose is for archival or non-archival storage, then comments
are important and need to be included (unless the JSON format is
strictly an intermediate format).

I do not think it reasonable to state that all X3D encodings are storage
(or all choices). That ignores the best features of any encoding and
forces all encodings to support the worst features of each.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant