[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] ElevationGrid for the modern age

Cecile Muller newsletter at wildpeaks.fr
Sun Feb 1 06:28:37 PST 2015

Hi everyone,

> It is *very* good to know that the issue is still on the roadmap of
> next X3D version, thanks :) The lack of any actual change in the X3D
> spec, after I reported the problems of multi-texturing a couple of
> times, on the mailing list and as spec comments, and prepared test
> cases... well, it was discouraging, to be honest. It is also made me
> unsure about joining the consortium --- as I wanted to see first that
> anyone can contribute useful improvements to the X3D spec, not just
> people that officially joined the consortium (and signed some papers
> and paid some fee).

This sentiment is exactly why I wish we'd use Github:

 - long discussions would be easier to follow than lengthy email threads,
and people could follow specific discussions without having to follow every
discussions, so there is less friction to bring more people in

 - it would be easier to keep track of changes and people could even send
pull requests to propose changes

 - it would be easier to use code snipplets in discussions, or point
specific locations in files

 - git branches and tags for separating officially released specs from
"still being discussed" versions

 - and most importantly, it would make X3D more visible to the public
because Github is pretty much the reference nowadays, even Google and
Microsoft gave up resisting and use it now. It's a bit frustrating to see
competing formats with a way shorter and less solid track record than X3D
gain traction just because they happen to be more visible.

See you,
Cecile