[x3d-public] Updation of PTM (draft notes)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Feb 4 18:46:58 PST 2015

Kwan Hee Yoo, thank you for the in-depth discussion call today with Joe and I.

Your slides are attached.  The proposed nodes that treat a texture like a light source are really interesting!

List of comments:

a.  slide 10, X3DProjetiveTextureNode

spelling: X3DProjectiveTextureNode

maybe better name to match other nodes:

	X3DTextureProjectorNode

b. Slide 11 and 12, Consistent names, re-sorted:

	TextureProjectorPerspective
	TextureProjectorParallel

c.  Slide 11, Get rid of aspectRatio since it is already defined by the ImageTexturee

d.  Slides 10, 11 and 12, add PixelTexture to ImageTexture and MovieTexture

e.  Split out nearFar into two separate fields

Potential names nearDistance farDistance

Note that farDistance is the same as "radius" field for DirectionalLight and SpotLight

(Incidentally nearDistance is somewhat similar to the first value of NavigationInfo avatarSize field.)

f.  Missing: attenuation field for TextureProjectorPerspective, same as SpotLight

g.  Slide 11, fieldOfView value should be radians

h.  Slide 12, TextureProjectParallel needs to define what is actual width and height for given aspectRatio pixel dimensions

i.  Slide 12, I still don't understand "volume" is - perhaps that is intended to be similar to width and height in previous point?

j.  Consider whether to include TextureTransform

k.  A few simple hand diagrams of geometry might help

l.  Add slides for DirectionalLight, PointLight, SpotLight - helpful for comparisons.

You might also find that these tooltips are interesting:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#DirectionalLight
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#PointLight
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#SpotLight

m.  Looks like we have some bad characters in the Korean Tooltips:
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltipsKorean.html#SpotLight
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltipsKorean.html#PointLight
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltipsKorean.html#SpotLight

n.  Slide 14.  I don't yet understand what this other node is adding that is different from the other nodes.  Please add more description so that we understand.

We will meet again in 3 weeks, same time (5 pm California on 25th, 10 am Korea on 26th).  Web3D Calendar entry added.

Thank you!!