[x3d-public] [X3D-Public] Prototype

Daniel Vera d.a.vera at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Feb 13 02:31:24 PST 2015

John,

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but in my opinion not having
capability similar to VRML protos is indeed a loss of functionality;

Explanation: I am an engineer (industrial production), not a developer;
VRML PROTO/EXTERNPROTO has allowed our group to build rich 3D based
engineering application using VRML/javascript code only (i.e. without
the need to go in the depth of coding with low level libraries etc.).

(https://www.youtube.com/user/FDSvideosFDS/videos)

Looking into Andreas links (Box.js code in particular), it seems the way
to go is to define additional X3DOM nodes, but that requires
understanding X3DOM code, which not every class of users wants or has
time to do; In my opinion, X3DOM should match the capability provided by
X3D in defining complex modelling class/object using X3D/javascript
code/syntax only.

That said, I am open to additional suggestion, discussion or links to
more information!

Regards, Daniel