[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] simple X3D -> JSON -> X3DOM, D3.js

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Feb 24 16:29:53 PST 2015

John, I won't have trouble modifying the X3dToJson.xslt to match a pattern later, at this point just think we are trying to figure out the right pattern.  No doubt there will be multiple encoders and converters if we get things sorted out well.

My note a little while ago is trying to point us further towards the right pattern.

I suspect it will be a JSON design pattern that simply includes all of the original information in an X3D scene, including SFNode/MFNode field names (i.e. explicit containerField values), and hopefully nothing else.

For such a pattern, the syntax of quoting/colons/brackets will be different but the structure will likely be remarkably similar to a VRML97/ClassicVRML file.

still TBD is whether that can work usefully for regular javascript programmers and especially library-loader programmers.

p.s. another metric of success will be if people say "gee that was easy, of course."  the best designs are simple, not complex.