[x3d-public] Updation of PTM (draft notes)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Feb 25 18:29:24 PST 2015

Kwan Hee Yoo, thanks for your presentation today.

Other participants: Kwan Hee Yoo, Myeong Won Lee, Dick Puk, Joe Williams, William Glascoe and yours truly.

On 2/25/2015 5:39 AM, Kwan-Hee Yoo wrote:
> Hi, Don.
>
> How are you?

Very good, thanks.  Good to hear you today too.

> I am preparing the material for tomorrow's meeting on perspective texture mapping
> which is made by considering your comments.
> Please, review the material.

Comments follow.  I will start from letter (o) since comments (a) through (n) already appear below.:

o. Slide 2: do you have a url to your video?  would you like to put your demo video online at web3d.org?  Or send it to me for inclusion on Web3D youtube site?

p. Slide 3:  nice figures.  We could create our own, in 2D or X3D.  You may be interested to look at

http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes
http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumExample.x3d
http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumPrototype.x3d

http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumOverheadView.png
http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumObliqueView.png
http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewpointCalculator.png

We could create a similar prototype to visualize these new nodes, if you want.  Should be fun!

q. Slide 4: probably need to list problems with other designs that didn't work as well.  Perhaps add your old slides as a backup.

r. Slides 6 and 7:  is it possible to implement these nodes as X3D prototypes?  Might be interesting, even if it is only as a stub.

My understanding is that you are writing FreeWrl source using Perl.

It would also be interesting to see if someone wants to implement these as an X3DOM component.

s.Slide 7: aspectRatio not needed as an input since that is provided by the image being used.

However aspectRatio might be interesting and helpful to authors as an outputOnly field.

t. Slides 6 7 and 8.  (Dick Puk) why are you using location/direction fields when Viewpoint has position/orientation?

u. Slide 7.  Why include upVector, it has not been needed for other X3D nodes which instead use local coordinate frame.

v. Slide 7 and 8, other differences noted with Viewpoint and OrthoViewpoint respectively.  Need fieldOfView and centerOfRotation for both nodes.

w. Slide 7 and 8, attenuation.  Perhaps TextureProjectorPerspective should attenuate like PointLight, and TextureProjectorParallel doesn't attenuate, similar to DirectionalLight.

Patterning after existing light nodes, and lighting models, certainly makes browser implementation pretty easy.

Slide 9, ProjectorLight.  This proposed node does not appear to be necessary, authors can use other existing nodes instead (including these).