[x3d-public] Issue: X3D V4 Functionality

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Wed Jul 8 14:45:32 PDT 2015

The first very basic question that needs to be answered is what to
include in V4. Over the years there have been statements that "X3D is
too big" and "X3D is not capable enough" (sometimes at the same time).
X3D V4 will support running in an HTML environment (like with X3DOM).
There will almost certainly be a new profile (call it 'HTML Profile' for
now). How do we (the Web 3D community) determine what goes into that
profile? Note that this is not a question of what goes into X3D, we are
striving to always keep X3D backwards compatible.

The current thinking and effort is to make HTML like the Immersive
Profile plus features needed to HTML plus other X3DOM available features
(e.g., Physics, Volume Rendering, etc.). One alternative approach is to
determine a minimal set of functionality that is needed for HTML with
the current methods of creating 3D models and animation. There are other
means for accomplishing this task. Responses should address the question:

How do we determine what should be in the HTML Profile of X3D V4?

--
*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair