[x3d-public] resuming X3D JSON encoding efforts

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jul 29 10:31:16 PDT 2015

Hi John, how have you been.  Long time no bugfix together!

The last few months has been a long slog getting a number of other X3D working group priorities supported, but am making progress.  Most recently, have almost finished the recovery from the SourceForge outage.

Am getting ready (or at least hoping) to get going on JSON encoding for X3D again.

Progress since we were last banging on X3D JSON via the mail list:
- X3D examples production is producing .json versions of all examples
- X3D examples production also includes a comprehensive jsonlint capability (similar functionality to yours)
- will add button to X3D-Edit to facilitate JSON experimentation and production

Looking ahead:

a. Post SIGGRAPH, am hoping to draft an ISO New Work Item Proposal that outlines what an X3D JSON encoding document will include... we can circulate it for comment at the ISO meeting in late August, might get some useful feedback.

b. So... am especially keen to resume work to address and fix output-syntax bugs in X3dToJson.xslt stylesheet.  I'll prepare a log of bugs revealed by the jsonlint scripts.

c. It would also be good to look at (and write up, simply) how such an excellent capability might be used in X3DOM, three.js, D3.js and other 3D visualization libraries.

d. Is there any consistent form of JSON Schema that we ought to be considering?  My understanding is that a few informal variants are out there, not sure if they add value or not.

e. Documenting work that has been done, like the things you've produced, on the web3d.org working group pages.

f. Does jshint add additional value to jslint diagnostics?  Wondering if we ought to make the effort to add jshint to the suite of capabilities?

So, lots to do... Wondering if you might be at SIGGRAPH?  Perhaps we should pick a BOF or other breakout time for anyone interested in this topic.