[x3d-public] weekly schema review meeting minutes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jun 1 07:55:57 PDT 2015

Weekly meeting.  Attendees Walmsley and Brutzman.

1.  First we reviewed lots of recent progress.  Don has gotten through all but a dozen of your "Status of" comments.

Remaining issues are dealing with fields that are multiply defined with different accessType values, so that special-case rules are needed in the stylesheets to keep proper track of them.   The generated code needs to know when eponymous field definitions have different accessType values...

Any differences are usually performance related, for example ElevationGrid height field is initializeOnly so that any changes are deliberate via set_height, permitting peak run-time performance and (sometimes) memory savings.

2.  Roy has been marking up a copy of the specification with proposed changes & fixes, he needs to coordinate with Dick about it.

3.  We discussed Roy's generator stylesheet changes.
- same order, different techniques
- he is send his modifications to mail list, Don is comparing to version control
- Roy will check in BuildSpecificationVrmlEncodingFromSchema.xslt
- Roy will send updated build.xml and Don will integrate changes into version control

Lots of interesting changes in BuildSpecificationXmlEncodingFromSchema.xslt to improve the handling of nested abstract interfaces when inspecting nodes.

Reviewing EncodingOfNodes.html he has fixed the content-model problems that had crept in.  Bravo!   8)

TODO.  Wondering if we can insert containerField in child content outputs?  That would help us trace the schema logic is correct.

Please add a few motivation comments (why was something done?) and also please insert TODO comments where you know that there are improvements that might be applied.  That will help us co-evolve the code.

4.  TODO need link checking and refresh of the changelog headers.

5.  We will review H-Anim as we proceed...  I don't think we will need geospatial nodes in the humanoid nodes, unless someone is building  Dr. Manhattan larger than planet Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Manhattan

6.  I think that we can get through all proposed changes prior to Crete Web3D Conference.  Some review will of course continue, but we are in good shape.  Thanks Roy!!

7.  Expect to see an update later this week or following next Monday's call.

Onward and upward.  Review comments welcome.