[x3d-public] Xj3D, X3D-Edit update: improved rendering with latest JoGL, updated subversion trunk

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jun 23 21:18:28 PDT 2015

NPS is happy to report the release of updated versions for X3D-Edit which includes sourceforge Xj3D.

X3D-Edit is an open-source Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics authoring tool for simple error-free editing, authoring and validation of X3D scenes.

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit

X3D-Edit users (standalone application or Netbeans plugin) will see the update advertised next time you start up.

If that is not immediately appearing, change your refresh settings:

	Tools > Plugins > Settings > Check Interval > Every Startup (rather than Weekly)

Xj3D itself has been upgraded to the latest versions of JOGL rendering and JOAL spatial audio.  We've seen some improved rendering quality and speed on several scenes.  Feedback also welcome.

For candidate developers, we have upgraded the SourceForge subversion by moving the NPS branch to the trunk, and moving the prior trunk to branches/yumetechTrunk.

Thanks to Terry Norbraten and Don McGregor for each of these changes.

	Xj3D viewer: NPS source
	https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/developers.html#Xj3D

	Xj3D Evolution
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/Xj3D_Evolution

	Xj3D v2.0 Yumetech branch
	https://sourceforge.net/p/xj3d/code/HEAD/tree/branches/yumetechTrunk

	Xj3D v2.1 trunk
	https://sourceforge.net/p/xj3d/code/HEAD/tree/trunk

Package: javax.media.opengl
Extension Name: javax.media.opengl
Specification Title: Java Bindings for OpenGL API Specification
Specification Vendor: JogAmp Community
Specification Version: 2.2
Implementation Title: Java Bindings for OpenGL Runtime Environment
Implementation Vendor: JogAmp Community
Implementation Vendor ID: com.jogamp
Implementation URL: http://jogamp.org
Implementation Version: 2.2.4

https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/developers.html#Xj3D

Xj3D is an open-source Java viewer and application codebase for X3D graphics scenes.

- NPS maintains and uses a public version of the Xj3D source, periodically synchronized with the original Xj3D.org project, to test new developments and bug fixes.
- We are happy to work together with anyone who wants to help provide full support for the X3D Graphics standard in Xj3D.
- The Xj3D Evolution strategy describes how Web3D working-group stakeholders are considering and implementing further improvements to Xj3D.
- Available: Xj3D Sourceforge project is now established with a full history of changes included. We are refactoring past and future branches through formal renumbering and release.
     - Xj3D version 2.1 is the most up-to-date build, maintained by NPS as the Xj3D trunk.
     - Xj3D version 2.0 is a snapshot of Yumetech-produced version at time of migration, August 2014, available at branch/yumetechTrunk.
     - Future version releases will integrate other previously orphaned Xj3D builds.
- Current releases use the open-source Jogamp high performance Java libraries for 3D Graphics, Multimedia and Processing. These include Java OpenGL (JOGL) rendering and JOAL spatialized audio. Xj3D can run on multiple operating systems (Windows MacOSX Linux Solaris).

Have fun with X3D-Edit and Xj3D!