[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] CSG for X3D and X3DOM (shaders)

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:10:29 PDT 2015

Hi there,

here is a x3dom only way to show the sections. It uses GeoElevationGrids
for the full southern hemisphere and the partial northern hemisphere, and a
DEF group of layered ArcClose2Ds for the section which is then reUSEd in
transforms.

http://plaza-omega.codio.io/x3dom/planet/index.xhtml

One could add onmouseover handlers to show info for each layer.

It is curious that there is a ArcClose2D node but that the Disk2D node has
not an option for a startAngle and endAngle which would have been useful
here.

-Andreas

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 12:31 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 9, 2015, at 10:58 AM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps you could describe how to do prototypes with VRmath2 with Logo.
>

> In other words, can you do it in Logo, only mentioning DISH once and PIE
> once.
>
> John
>
>  Best,
>> Andy :-)
>
>  On 9 May 2015, at 10:04 am, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Andy.  Thanks for your way.  It has helped.  I devised a little
> animation with X3DOM and D3.js based on your ideas:
> http://coderextreme.net/earth/world.html
>
>  John
>
> On May 8, 2015, at 9:15 AM, Andy Yeh <a.yeh at qut.edu.au> wrote:
>
>  Hi John,
>
>  I used a different way to construct the earth cross section.
> See my blog at https://vrmath2.net/content/earth-cross-section
>
>> Andy :-)
>
>  On 8 May 2015, at 6:51 pm, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Thinking about this, it seems like this could be done with 2 extrusions,
> one per hemisphere.  Anyone want to give it a try?  I may get to it
> eventually.
>
>  John
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 11:28 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  The earth.png is included in this email.   The source code is
> http://coderextreme.net/earth/<earth.png>
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 11:17 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Based on the blog below, I developed a CSG Earth cross section with
> Three.js.  Here it is http://coderextreme.net/earth/earth.png  Note that
> I’d like to make my “addShell” function a part of some declarative code
> (JSON, Collada, gilt, X3D or X3DOM, if they aren’t already there.
>
>  John
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 3:06 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Here’s the example from the Learning Three.js blog.  Seems performant
> enough:
> http://learningthreejs.com/data/constructive-solid-geometry-with-csg-js/
> I want to visualize the inner part of the earth.
>
>  John
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 2:48 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  This may be an alternate solution:
>

> http://learningthreejs.com/blog/2011/12/10/constructive-solid-geometry-with-csg-js/
>
>  http://evanw.github.io/csg.js/
>
>  Is there any chance we can get X3DOM to support this, at least for a
> limited number of shapes?  I want to build a cross section of the earth in
> D3.js and X3DOM.
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  John
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 2:19 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Also:
> https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~lowkl/publications/realtime_csg_vrst2010.pdf I
> think for my visualization, spheres may be sufficient.
>
>  John
>
>  On May 7, 2015, at 1:55 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.