[x3d-public] editing x3d

Alan Grimes ALONZOTG at verizon.net
Mon Nov 2 20:51:34 PST 2015

I haz teh buk X3D "Extensible 3D graphics for web authors"...

I tried blender but it was too sloppy for what I wanted to do. (create
an under-construction page for my site with a rectangular solid with a
logo on the front face and an e-mail address on the bottom face).

I found mention that the book was using X3D edit for it's examples, so I
tried to install it. Netbeans crashes whenever I try to use X3Dedit
functions. (netbeans 8, java version "1.8.0_60").

I decided to try x3dedit standalone.

problem 1: the archive is a mess because it has many of the files in the
root of the archive, common courtesy says that an archive should always
include a directory so that it doesn't create a mess in the directory I
use for all my "experimental" packages and self-written and/or compiled
code....

problem 2: it's call to javaversion check fails because it is not
preceded by a "./"

Problem 3: It couldn't find my java, I had to configure that manually,
this is a common issue which is easy to fix, thankfully. On Gentoo, the
correct directory is always: /etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm

Problem 4 (showstopper): damn thing segfaults and basically either
doesn't open, stays open for milliseconds, or crashes x'doze. =(

Yeah, it basically doesn't work. =(((

I have netbeans 8.02 or about that version... I really love netbeans in
general... was trying version 3.3, there are many older versions and
links to older versions still floating around too. =\

--
IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.

Powers are not rights.