[x3d-public] x3d case correction tool

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Tue Nov 3 12:23:27 PST 2015

On 11/3/2015 11:10 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:

See below...

> Thanks for the good thinking.
>
> Some time ago, when first looking at HTML lower-case elements and
> X3DOM integration, there was good dialog on the mail lists.  No doubt
> available in the archives.
>
> It would appear that both forms (CamelCase and lowercase/miXedcAsE)
> are desirable for X3D authors depending on their html publication
> context.
>
> At that stage I created a stylesheet that creates a table for
> producing lower-case version of X3D element names and attributes. It
> walks the X3D schema in a manner similar to what you are suggesting.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dElementsLowerCaseTable.html
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dAttributesLowerCaseTable.html
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dElementsAttributesLowerCaseTable.txt
>
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dElementsAttributesLowerCaseTableConstruction.xslt
>

> Just tuned them up a little.  Might need more precise filtering to
> avoid duplicates, etc.
>
> Hopefully this is useful.
>
> As you point out, the X3D Tidy stylesheet looks at this task too.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dTidy.html
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dTidy.xslt
>
> At this point, it might be good to articulate any use cases and the
> relevant HTML5 prose on case sensitivity.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#writing (W3C Recommendation 28
Oct 2014)
8.1 Writing HTML documents - last paragraph

    Many strings in the HTML syntax (e.g. the names of elements and
    their attributes) are case-insensitive, but only for uppercase ASCII
    letters
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/infrastructure.html#uppercase-ascii-letters>
    and lowercase ASCII letters
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/infrastructure.html#lowercase-ascii-letters>.
    For convenience, in this section this is just referred to as
    "case-insensitive".

Leonard Daly

> Open source.  All suggestions, improvements or additions welcome.
>

> On 11/3/2015 9:34 AM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>> Since the idea of having a x3d document which is conforming as much
>> as possible is attractive, I am thinking of a tool which corrects
>> element names and attribute names to their correct case sensitive
>> spelling. Is there such a tool ?
>>
>> In principle I think it could work by:
>> 1) extract all element and attribute names from the .dtd and/or schema
>> 2) go through all elements (recursively) in (nonconforming) x3d document
>> 2a)  normalize element name to lower-case and see if there is a
>> corresponding normalized node name in dtd
>> 2b) if there is replace with correct, case sensitive element name
>>    if not flag as unknown (or ignore, optionally eliminate)
>> 2c) do the same for all used attribute names
>>
>> This would work for most if not all names since they can all (most?)
>> be distinguished in a case insensitive manner.
>>
>> The tool of choice would be a xsl style sheet which may have to be
>> generated by another stylesheet which processes the .dtd/schema. What
>> would be other strategies (going through json) ? How would one go
>> about this in more detail ? Perhaps the x3d-tidy.xsl style sheet is a
>> starting point ? It looks daunting.
>>
>> However, I would probably start much more straightforwardly by
>> looking at
>> http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dDoctypeDocumentation3.3.html and
>> http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSchemaDocumentation3.3/x3d-3.3.html
>>
>> to assemble a list and then use unix tools such as sed/awk and such
>> to transform the x3d. What is used to generate the above
>> documentation from the .dtd/xsd ?
>>
>> Any input much appreciated,
>>
>> Andreas

*Leonard Daly*