[x3d-public] Problem with Instant Reality 2.6.0, FreeWRL on Mac. Not quite sure what to do about schematron error.

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Nov 25 09:52:42 PST 2015

Thank you very much for the report.  I get consistent result from the online X3D validator.  Investigated further... fix follows.

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator

Clearly ImageTexture ought to be allowed in ComposedCubeMapTexture by the spec.

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/env_texture.html#ComposedCubeMapTexture

34.4.1 ComposedCubeMapTexture

ComposedCubeMapTexture : X3DEnvironmentTextureNode {
   SFNode [in,out] back     NULL [X3DTexture2DNode]
   SFNode [in,out] bottom   NULL [X3DTexture2DNode]
   SFNode [in,out] front    NULL [X3DTexture2DNode]
   SFNode [in,out] left     NULL [X3DTexture2DNode]
   SFNode [in,out] metadata NULL [X3DMetadataObject]
   SFNode [in,out] right    NULL [X3DTexture2DNode]
   SFNode [in,out] top      NULL [X3DTexture2DNode]
}

This false-positive report appears to be an omission in the schematron rules.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/tools/schematron/X3dSchematron.html
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/tools/schematron/X3dSchematronValidityChecks.sch

The offending rule is line 1340, 1341 for ImageTexture and MovieTexture respectively:

       <report test="not(parent::Shape) and not(parent::Appearance) and not(parent::MultiTexture) and not(parent::TextureBackground) and not(parent::field) and not(parent::fieldValue)" role="error">&NodeDEFname; has parent <value-of select='local-name(..)'/> node, but must be contained by Appearance, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) </report>

Added ComposedCubeMapTexture to that list.

Made similar changes to rule for PixelTexture on line 1374.

On 11/25/2015 5:39 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> X3D-Edit checker produces:
> Performing X3D Schematron check...
> <ImageTexture DEF=''/> has parent ComposedCubeMapTexture node, but must be contained by Appearance, LoadSensor, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) [/X3D/Scene/Transform/Shape/Appearance/ComposedCubeMapTexture/ImageTexture[1], error]
> <ImageTexture DEF=''/> has parent ComposedCubeMapTexture node, but must be contained by Appearance, LoadSensor, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) [/X3D/Scene/Transform/Shape/Appearance/ComposedCubeMapTexture/ImageTexture[2], error]
> <ImageTexture DEF=''/> has parent ComposedCubeMapTexture node, but must be contained by Appearance, LoadSensor, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) [/X3D/Scene/Transform/Shape/Appearance/ComposedCubeMapTexture/ImageTexture[3], error]
> <ImageTexture DEF=''/> has parent ComposedCubeMapTexture node, but must be contained by Appearance, LoadSensor, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) [/X3D/Scene/Transform/Shape/Appearance/ComposedCubeMapTexture/ImageTexture[4], error]
> <ImageTexture DEF=''/> has parent ComposedCubeMapTexture node, but must be contained by Appearance, LoadSensor, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) [/X3D/Scene/Transform/Shape/Appearance/ComposedCubeMapTexture/ImageTexture[5], error]
> <ImageTexture DEF=''/> has parent ComposedCubeMapTexture node, but must be contained by Appearance, LoadSensor, MultiTexture or TextureBackground node (or else within field declaration or fieldValue initialization) [/X3D/Scene/Transform/Shape/Appearance/ComposedCubeMapTexture/ImageTexture[6], error]
>
> Code is: [...]

Looks good.  Test passes in X3D Validator; update will also appear in next release of X3D-Edit.