[x3d-public] [X3D-Public] camera, random path on a sphere

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 17:08:56 PST 2015

On November 29, 2015, at 2:01 PM, x3d-public-request at web3d.org wrote:

>Message: 2
>Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 13:01:06 -0600
>From: John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com>

>I have taken the viewpoint tour from Joe's linked VRML below and put it into my JSON loader.  See a stripped down version of my loader at: http://coderextreme.net/X3DJSONLD/>Below as text is the X3D for doing a random tour based Joe?s original viewpoint tour.  I don?t have a link for this because I want people to view in on their desktop.  Note that it doesn?t do a great circle tour as I would want.  Is there something in GeoVRML or GeoX3D that does a Great Circle Interpolator?  Thanks!

John,

I added an SFBool option onGreatCircle for GeoPositionInterpolator in x3dom when I implemented the node. This is non-standard. The standard says somewhere that interpolators interpolate linearly.

Not sure how this can be used in a non-geospatial scene, however, especially without a script node. I guess you could use the geocentric geoSystem and wrap the viewpoint in a transform to scale it down to how you need it. For example, to get positions on a sphere of 10  m radius you would need to divide coordinates by ca. 637000 .

It might also work to  just provide non-geospatial coordinates to GeoPositionInterpolator with the GC geoSystem as long as they are located on a sphere centered at the origin. The interpolated coordinates should still be on the same sphere.

Cobweb does not support geospatial last time I checked.

Hope this helps,

Andreas