[x3d-public] X3D JSON Loader and viewer + x3dom xml viewer+cobweb viewer

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 20:25:12 PST 2015

On November 29, 2015, at 2:10 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

>Am looking forward to learning more about how you and Andreas got both X3DOM and Cobweb to coexist within a single page harmoniously.

Well, effectively they live on two separate pages with the cobweb page embedded in the other via a html iframe element. An iframe is the author recommended way to add cobweb to a page. It is supposed to provide encapsulation. It turns out the parent page can access the iframe if it is local and vice versa but only explicitly.

This is why I was surprised that having both x3dom and cobweb in iframes did not work; only one would show depending on order. Only the second iframe would render. Something seems to leak out of the iframe, in Firefox.

X3dom uses web components custom element feature. Perhaps registerelement() is not confined to the iframe ? By design or by accident ?

Cobweb seems to just scan the document for an x3d tag, picks up the url there and then does its own parsing, scene graph construction etc. But something interfered, having x3dom in a second iframe.

This is how deep I ventured, when I had the idea that x3dom on the main page is also a possibility which then worked.

Andreas