[x3d-public] [X3D-Public] camera, random path on a sphere

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 21:07:46 PST 2015

Don,

I had the same expectation but it turns out that all implementations I have seen just linearly interpolate. For small distances it does not matter much. For larger distances it does mean travelling underground in case of a GC geosystem but not in the case of the default GD geosystem where just latitude and longitude and elevation are interpolated independently.
We had an exchange on the geospatial list at the time which I can dig up.
So I believe the original intention was just linear interpolation, and 'in the spatial reference frame' means output of coordinates consistent with the key values. However, I would support a change to great circle interpolation as it is probably expected by authors.

Andreas