[x3d-public] X3D and Occuli

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 12 04:32:59 PDT 2015

A bit of googling returned links that are wildly scattered.  The first
was a forum where a fresh face asked about X3D and was told that they
should not bother with it.   Another pointed to the Instant Reality
site which said it supports it and does go into some detail about the
Rift (essentially, it is just another display device).  I found the
Bit Management site statements that it supports Rift with its stereo
software.  Admittedly I am way behind on this subject but from the
surface this appears to be the case.  Please correct me if I am wrong:

1.  Once again, anything open or free such as X3D is being beaten down
by the hardware vendors and new kids on the block in an attempt to
capture market and make as much money as fast as possible.  So once
again the Silly Valley diseases are infecting the 3D marketplace and
anyone who wants a long life cycle solution has to go out of the US to
get it.  Sad that.

2.  For those of us who are sitting on X3D content we took some effort
to develop and don't want to see it "abandoned", our reliable way
forward is to stick with the dates that stuck with us at the party:
Bit Management and Instant Reality.   If there are others, I simply
didn't see them in my quick survey.

3.  There is a "No Bad VR!" meme out there.  I don't know what that
means but I suspect it is part of the market capture strategy (Wait
for OUR Content! It will be the Real Deal RSN!).  Meh.

4.  This is a market that is pushed by the headset but the real deal
is the desktop and the applications on it that can use the Rift or
other headset APIs as display devices.  IOW, we are looking at the
same problems we have looked at since the 90s"  multiple incompatible
platforms for which content development is a bet and an expensive one.
   The camera capture devices seem to be getting the most attention a)
instant applications b) cheap content.

5.  VR still makes people queasy.

6.  Finally, X3D has more and better functionality for VR creation
than is actually necessary to get started.  The focus on hardware and
the usual hype/greed curve drowns out that message.

I'm not convinced this is quite the leap being hyped.   It is progress
but not a revolution.  It still comes down to the cost of developing
and maintaining scripted content.

I am afraid as far as jobs are concerned, Cecile is right.  Here in
the heart of darkness (DoD Big Sticks Land), it is all about sims
using Unreal and Unity to sell weapons platforms and to train
soldiers.   That this is very expensive for the taxpayers is of no
consequence in an industry that invented the idea of market capture
(you should see the S1000D pubs systems that are all MS Word and
SharePoint until the ever deferrred final deliverable).  I have to
wonder how Don justifies his work to his paymasters these days.   A
topic for another time...

Aside: the node tree in Instant Reality is amazing if half of them
work.  That's a lot of toys in the toy box for those of us who like to
play with semi-autonomous VR objects.  Cool!

If any of that is wrong, please say so.   I'd love to put The River Of
Life up where it can be viewed on these new display devices, but since
my ISP has given up on it's web hosting for the casual users, I had to
pull all of my VR and other web content off the original site.  This
has become an expensive proposition for hobbyists and I get the
distinct impression from what I am reading in the VR blurbs we aren't
welcome in the brave new worlds.

The tragedy is there is probably more original thinking, ideas and
chops in this community for creating VR than in all of Facebook.

len