[x3d-public] Improvements to Blender for importing X3D, thanks to NIH 3D Print Exchange

Anita Havele anita.havele at web3d.org
Fri Oct 23 10:27:23 PDT 2015

Thanks to NIH 3D Print Exchange, these significant improvements to the
Blender 3D authoring tool for importing X3D brings increased functionality
and performance.  <http://3dprint.nih.gov/>  <http://3dprint.nih.gov/>
Blender is a popular open-source 3D authoring tool written in C++ that
includes support for import and export of #X3D scenes.  X3D is the
third-generation successor to the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML).

Vsevolod (Seva) Alekseyev is a lead programmer at the National Institutes of
Health (NIH)  <http://3dprint.nih.gov/> 3D Print Exchange.  He has
contributed significant improvements to the Blender source code for
importing X3D.  Support now includes all of the geometry nodes from
Rendering and Geometry3D components, image and pixel textures (including
primitive geometry), TextureTransform to shift 2D image texture coordinates,
Lighting component (PointLight DirectionalLight SpotLight) and Viewpoints,
which are essential for scene navigation. These improvements have been
released as part of the Blender source trunk in time for the annual
<http://www.blender.org/conference> Blender 2015 Conference which runs 23-25
October 2015 in De Balie, Amsterdam.

Seva reports:  "It is great to develop expanded support to a larger subset
of the X3D standard.  Future work might handle advanced textures, scene
animation and user interactivity, if there increasing is community demand
out there."

Dr. Darrell Hurt is Chief of the Bioinformatics and Computational
Biosciences Branch (BCBB) at NIH and a member of the Web3D Consortium Board
of Directors.  He notes "Blender is important.  This dramatic increase in
functionality and performance brings value to the NIH 3D Print Exchange
program and the larger 3D printing industry."

Anita Havele is Executive Director of the Web3D Consortium.  "We are proud
of how NIH is always innovating.  Our members also support a public
community with the  <http://www.web3d.org/projects/wish-list> Project Wish
List.  We invite companies, research institutes and individual professionals
to  <http://www.web3d.org/join> join the Web3D Consortium and make a
difference."

http://www.web3d.org/news-story/improved-blender-import-x3d-scenes

Best regards,

Anita-Havele

Executive Director, Web3D Consortium    <http://www.web3d.org/>
www.web3d.org

Phone: +1 248 342 7662     Fax: +1 248 457 8018