[x3d-public] x3d case sensitivity

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 09:11:45 PDT 2015

Judging from the behaviour of the octaga and freewrl x3d browsers, node
names and (most?) field names are case insensitive although there is a
preferred form.
Key words such as ROUTE (and perhaps IMPORT/EXPORT and others) as well as
DEF and USE (key word or field name?) are, however, case sensitive, eg.
need to be in all capitals.
There is probably a section in the standard which spells this out ?
Probably the intention is to improve human readability. But if so one could
imagine stricter rules for capitalization in general and even formatting.
And ALL CAPITALS is often considered harmful for readability. Is there
another line of reasoning ? So enforcing case sensitivity in some parts of
a x3d xml encoded file but not others does seem somewhat arbitrary.
I ran into this because a nice x3d generator (Andy Yeh's impressive online
logo system) did not quite get the capitalization conforming (now fixed)
which I thought was very understandable.
Case sensitivity might play a role in the json effort as well.
Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.