[x3d-public] x3d case sensitivity

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Tue Oct 27 10:54:18 PDT 2015

According to the standard X3D is case-sensitive
XML:
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-1/V3.3/Part01/concepts.html#XMLEncoding
(9th paragraph)
VRML:
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-2/V3.3/Part02/concepts.html#ClassicVRMLEncoding
(6th paragraph)
Compressed Binary: Use XML as an intermediate step so those rules apply.

That does not mean that browser hard-enforce that requirement.

The X3DOM browser is not case sensitive because HTML tags are not (in
HTML5), though there is a very strong preference for lower case (even in
compound words - e.g., onclick).

In the non-HTML environment, case sensitivity should apply to nodes,
fields, and keywords (e.g., DEF, USE, IS, etc.)

Leonard Daly

> Judging from the behaviour of the octaga and freewrl x3d browsers,
> node names and (most?) field names are case insensitive although there
> is a preferred form.
> Key words such as ROUTE (and perhaps IMPORT/EXPORT and others) as well
> as DEF and USE (key word or field name?) are, however, case sensitive,
> eg. need to be in all capitals.
> There is probably a section in the standard which spells this out ?
> Probably the intention is to improve human readability. But if so one
> could imagine stricter rules for capitalization in general and even
> formatting. And ALL CAPITALS is often considered harmful for
> readability. Is there another line of reasoning ? So enforcing case
> sensitivity in some parts of a x3d xml encoded file but not others
> does seem somewhat arbitrary.
> I ran into this because a nice x3d generator (Andy Yeh's impressive
> online logo system) did not quite get the capitalization conforming
> (now fixed) which I thought was very understandable.
> Case sensitivity might play a role in the json effort as well.
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Plesch
> 39 Barbara Rd.