[x3d-public] Evolution of X3D: Help Design the Future

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Thu Sep 10 20:19:25 PDT 2015

On 9/10/2015 4:05 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Would love to see more people here, discussions are just starting:
>
> http://tools.realism.com/forums/x3d-evolution
>
> I’ve posted several things.  I prefer forums to email.  My message
> isn’t so overbearing.
>
> Leonard, what are the archiving policies of the site?  What about long
> term maintenance and backup?   Are you using open software on the
> site?  Thanks!

John,

Thanks for starting things off. I have been doing some serious
architectural thinking and will post some ideas when I can condense them
into words.

Realism.com is my domain. I've had it almost 20 years now (since 1996).
Tools is where I do my development, so (at least I think) it is a
perfect place for discussions. Backups are done every day, maintenance
is done by me. I may need to expand on that if there are people
interested and it becomes a big enough thing. The site is powered by
Drupal V7. V8 is available in beta, but not ready (nor complete) for
prime time.

I'll look into other support, but since I've started this here and like
to leave it for a while. I am not opposed to moving the discussion to an
appropriate platform as needed.

Leonard Daly

> If we want to create more of a community, something like diaspora
> might work. https://diasporafoundation.org/ http://social.realism.com???
>

> John
>
>> On Sep 10, 2015, at 4:19 PM, Leonard Daly <web3d at realism.com
>> <mailto:web3d at realism.com>> wrote:
>>
>> For 20 years, the Web3D Consortium has developed and maintained a
>> open, royalty free, ISO ratified and well documented standardized
>> markup language for transmitting and displaying 3D content on the web
>> called X3D. As 3D content creation and use is now fast becoming
>> democratized by significant advances in software and hardware, the
>> Consortium wants to continue to evolve the standard to protect
>> content creators from vendor lock-in and high value and archival 3D
>> content from file format obsolescence.
>>
>> We would like to know:
>>
>>  1: What features and/or functionality are missing from the current
>> standard
>> (http://tools.realism.com/forums/x3d-evolution/what-features-andor-functionality-are-missing-current-standard)
>>  2: Who or what groups you think would best benefit from this
>> standard
>> (http://tools.realism.com/forums/x3d-evolution/who-or-what-groups-you-think-would-best-benefit-standard)
>>
>> The general discussion forum is at
>> http://tools.realism.com/forums/x3d-evolution
>>  * The existing X3D standard (X3D Abstract - ISO/IEC 19775-1:2013)
>>    -
>> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/Architecture.html
>>    - Examples: http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/
>>
>>   * X3DOM - a popular WebGL implementation
>>    - www.x3dom.org
>>    - Examples: http://www.x3dom.org/examples/
>>
>> You can freely participate by asking questions, posing use-cases, or
>> providing solutions or examples. All discussion are publicly
>> viewable. Do not post material that is protected (either by license
>> or as proprietary). You can email me privately web3d at realism.com if
>> you have questions or non-public comments.
>>
>> Thank you for taking the time to provide your input so we can
>> continue to serve an ever growing 3D web community with a free and
>> open alternative to proprietary solutions.
>>
>> --
>> *Leonard Daly*
>> X3D Co-Chair
>> Cloud Consultant
>> President, Daly Realism - /Creating the Future/

*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair
Cloud Consultant