[x3d-public] Goals for V4

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Mon Sep 14 17:17:55 PDT 2015

I have been developing several ideas for X3D V4 to align X3D with
current development practice while maintaining important links to the
past. I have posted my goals for my work at
http://realism.com/blog/declaractive-3d-goals (also listed below). There
is public comment capability at
http://tools.realism.com/forums/x3d-evolution/declaractive-3d-goals

 1. Very long life to support physical objects with long lifespans
    (e.g., industrial & transportation facilities)
 2. Runs directly in browser without the need for plug-ins
 3. Not required to run in a browser
 4. Compatible with existing X3D V3.3 standard
    Note that this does not require full backwards compatibility; but
    the ability to handle pre V4 content, perhaps with a converter.
 5. Allows for creation, storage, and use of content in a manner
    consistent with current and anticipated future practices
 6. Runs on as wide of variety as possible of devices capable of
    displaying 3D content

--
*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair