[x3d-public] [x3d] Goals for V4

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Tue Sep 15 17:03:50 PDT 2015

On 9/15/2015 1:54 PM, Roy Walmsley wrote:

> Len,
>
> I have looked through your goals and would like to comment on your
> goal 4 – compatibility with V3.3.
>
> I would say that the goal should be to *_maximise_* compatibility with
> V3.3. I would also be very interested to hear in what way you think
> compatibility might be broken. I suspect one would be the event model.
> I have a germ of an idea about that.

Roy,

I am not opposed to full backwards compatibility with V3.x and V2.x.
There are a number of areas where (I think) that kind of compatibility
may severely limit X3D in the marketplace. As you point out, the event
model is one area. Another is the Script node. I know there is a recent
release that includes a Script node, but it appears to do it at the
expense of access to the X3D DOM. I need to investigate that further.

I wish to maximise the adoption of X3D. I am looking at how people
currently build 3D environments, from modeling to final assembly. I
think it may be more of an optimization problem with so many things to
maximize.

I am working on a design philosophy that I think addresses those issues.
A lot is only stored in my mind, and I would prefer to get most of it in
a transportable media before going into much detail. I hope to have at
least an initial version in a week.

> I would like to see, if at all possible, a situation where my
> development X3D V3.3 in C++ can also handle what is carried over to V4
> (obviously extensions would be required for new features) _without_
> needing a converter. Perhaps this is a goal we can aim for together.

I think it might. I am not sure about how features will land when
interacting in a web-browser environment vs. non-browser. Some/many/all
(?) of the features may be in a browser-based encoding.

Leonard Daly

--
*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair