[x3d-public] X3D file conformance philosophy

Roy Walmsley roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 24 05:46:25 PDT 2015

Andreas,

Referring to your final comment below I would say that a validation tool that does not complain about nodes and fields it does not know would make that tool largely useless! After all, apart from picking up out of bounds field values, or detecting missing required content, the point of a validation tool is to complain about things it doesn't recognise. How else does it tell you about errors? Validators, if they are well written, will already tell you what sort of problem they have found, i.e. the equivalent of your classification of deviations.

It sounds like you either need a reduced activity validation tool, or else to teach your validation tool about the extra things that you permit in your X3D authored files.

Finally I would raise two questions: What is valid X3D content? How does a validation tool definitively categorize custom content from errors in valid X3D content?

Best regards,

Roy