[x3d-public] Export from X3D Edit to VRML -- file selection issue

Anthony Judge anthony.judge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:37:36 PDT 2015

Roy

Many thanks for considering the issue.

The X3D  is attached. It corresponds to the example previously shared,
although it has been regenerated by program with revised meta-data.

My experience today went through several stages. I have been viewing
multiple generated variants of such files using H3DViewer with no
problem. It so happens it was generated with the file association in
caps. I assumed this might possibly be an issue in X3D Edit, so I
switched to lower case. This changed nothing, as one might expect. I
removed all other opened files, relaunched X3D Edit. No change.

Worried, I then opened a file I had previously saved to VRML. It
exported correctly -- without presenting the (useless) selection
window. I then reverted to the attached file and it exported
correctly. So, as I said, somehow the system gets locked into a mode
from which I cannot escape. Is there an "edit" mode which is locked in
some way?

With respect to the Palette case. I long ago remarked (on this list
that) that  the menu features were obscure with respect to triggering
the Palette window. The Tools menu has a Palette item which in my case
reads .HTML/JSP Code clips whose contents (HTML/HTML Forms) seem
unrelated to what is triggered on the right (when it works) --
although some item therein may enable such triggering. However the
menu icon for New X3D scene draft opens a new draft -- and triggers
the Palette which I cannot access from a file previously validated and
saved. I find that icon obscure in relation to the very valuable set
of code tips. Using it I end up with multiple new drafts opened, to be
closed without saving. Why not an icon to trigger the Palette facility
in any edit mode? This    may exist but be obscure.

With respect to the Viewpoint Calculator, I copied code accessed via a
new draft/palette into a file like that attached. When saved and
viewed, after validation,  the facility did not appear to be usefully
triggered -- although the console displayed a series of messages. My
assumption was that a module called from the Calculator was not being
accessed correctly (or at all).

I then reviewed the installation, being unwilling (at this time) to
reinstall in the midst of a work process, for fear of losing my
ability to complete a whole series of X3D/WRL models.

I remain puzzled by the install and its relation to the Netbeans
platform (which I do not use, although having gone through some kind
of install).

I enclose two screen shots of the install location. One focuses on X3D
and the other on Netbeans.  Maybe it is partially working in some
obscure way. But -- as the saying goes -- if it ain't broke, don't fix
it.

As I previously reported with respect to resource overload on a 600k
model -- I  now  do a lot of editing with a text editor -- using X3D
Edit primarily for validation and VRML export. However reading the
Readme, the complexities of configuring the memory rather confirm me
in avoiding applying my ignorance to improving the installation as it
stands, especially since the updates are reported as being correctly
done -- whether or not they are fully "applied". It may be a question
of a path

I hope this information is of some use.

Best regards

Tony