[x3d-public] Export from X3D Edit to VRML -- file selection issue

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Sep 28 07:47:59 PDT 2015

Thanks for the trouble report, apologies for delayed response.

This is an initial response, I haven't yet been able to go through all of the dialog between you and Roy.

On 9/24/2015 6:19 AM, Anthony Judge wrote:
> I have had problems exporting from X3D Edit into VRML.
>
> Under some conditions a message now appears requesting file selection
> (attached) even though the relevant file is open (and has been
> validated). I cannot type in that window.
>
> If there are several files open, a selection may appear in that
> window, not including the one that is open . I do not have access to
> any via the window

That window (shown in your attachment) appears if there is Netbeans/X3D-Edit doesn't have a .x3d (XML encoded) file open and selected as the active file.

It is supposed to be a file chooser that lists all of the open .x3d files.

Possible cause is that you are using .X3D as the file extension, I haven't experimented with that.  In any case that is a policy built into Netbeans (the software upon which X3D-Edit is built) and so might not be easily adjustable.

I recommend trying to use lower-case .x3d as a file extension.

> I remain puzzled at whether the version is current in practice, even
> though the indication is that all updates are current (11 Sept 2015).
> How to tell whether they have been "applied" even though "downloaded"
> -- there is seemingly no version number via the Help menu

Correct.  Updates are automatic if a user chooses to accept them, and dates don't need to be worried about.

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/X3D-Edit.html#Updates

Until now I've resisted the urge to put a date in the About screen since it is one of the few places in the software that doesn't get updated automatically.  Simple improvement attached, this will likely get deployed today or tomorrow.  Current standalone X3D-Edit users will have to reinstall to see it.