[x3d-public] Mobile Responsive Navigation

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Wed Apr 6 10:03:22 PDT 2016

Mobile devices have built-in motion detectors. These can be accessed
from JavaScript within a browser and used to control the viewing of a
scene. I have documented one way at
http://realism.com/blog/tracking-device-motion. This is a mechanism that
exists external from X3DOM, but is tightly couples to the browser
(access to the motion detectors) and X3DOM (for controlling the viewing).

I feel that this capability is important to include directly in X3D V4.
This is a means of navigation, so my initial thought would be that this
would be an addition to the NavigationInfo node. There are two types of
this kind of navigation -- looking at an object (point in space) where
device motion is on a sphere with the object at the center; and looking
around where the device motion is at a fixed point and can orient to any
angle. In both of these cases, there is a fixed (non-translated) point
-- either the object, or the initial camera XYZ position.

The 'type' field already as a "LOOKAT". In fact the spec document
(http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html#NavigationInfo)
specifically describes how to navigate about an object in this manner
using '"LOOKAT" "EXAMINE"'. For this case, perhaps all that is needed is
to take (or at least allow) navigation control to come from the device.
Something like a new field "SFBool [in,out] navigationSensor FALSE".

Comments?

--
*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair