[x3d-public] Stereographic Displays

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Wed Apr 6 10:03:37 PDT 2016

This is related but not identical to my previous message "Mobile
Responsive Navigation"

Using shaders it is possible to construct a stereographic display so
that a user can "see" in 3D. This can be assisted with tools such as
Cardboard, Oculus, GearVR, or many other items. I wrote a blog post on
this and how to create the various pieces at
http://realism.com/blog/3d-google-cardboard. The code that does the
stereographic display is fully X3D as expanded by X3DOM to support
certain features.

I feel that this capability is important to include directly in X3D V4.
This is a means of viewing, so my initial thought would be that this
would be an addition to the Viewpoint node. This method of generating
stereographics does require changes to the scene graph, so it might be
better to have a new node - StereoViewpont.

The fields this nodes appears to require are:
   SFFloat [in,out] interpupillaryDistance 0.03
   <reference to scene or scene-fragment that is to be viewed in stereo>

There might be other fields (for example depth-of-field, zoom, etc.).
For mobile devices it is also necessary to handle device motion, so
whatever is defined needs to support mobile device tracking.

Comments?

--
*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair