[x3d-public] Mobile Responsive Navigation

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Apr 6 21:09:18 PDT 2016

Andreas,

This would also connect to the devices motion sensors. It is rather
difficult in Cardboard mode to navigation with the touch-screen.

Tank mode (as you noted) does require two input devices. I have seen
some browser with a "slide" mode that is sort-of like that. A dual input
(look & motion) would be ideal. I am not sure how best to define
something like that. Especially for the case when there is only one
controller.

I am not sure how Turntable differs from LookAt or Examine.  Is
Turntable restricted to a single axis rotation?

Leonard Daly

On 4/6/2016 2:19 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:

> While "Examine" with and without "lookat" covers the object at center
> case, there is no mode which covers the looking around case. "Walk" or
> "Fly" usually mean looking in the direction of movement.
> So I think it would make sense to add a type 'Lookaround" which means
> that the camera can  only change orientation not position. This is the
> typical cardboard VR mode.
>
> There is another mode which is sometimes called mouselook or tank
> mode. In it looking is independent from moving and typically requires
> two input devices: keyboard and mouse, or mouse and orientation sensor.
>
> Finally, x3dom has a popular turntable mode which could be included in
> the spec.
>
> Andreas
>

>     Today's Topics:
>
>        1. Mobile Responsive Navigation (Leonard Daly)
>        2. Stereographic Displays (Leonard Daly)
>        3. WebVR Community Group (Don Brutzman)

>     Mobile devices have built-in motion detectors. These can be accessed
>     from JavaScript within a browser and used to control the viewing of a
>     scene. I have documented one way at
>     http://realism.com/blog/tracking-device-motion. This is a
>     mechanism that
>     exists external from X3DOM, but is tightly couples to the browser
>     (access to the motion detectors) and X3DOM (for controlling the
>     viewing).
>
>     I feel that this capability is important to include directly in
>     X3D V4.
>     This is a means of navigation, so my initial thought would be that
>     this
>     would be an addition to the NavigationInfo node. There are two
>     types of
>     this kind of navigation -- looking at an object (point in space) where
>     device motion is on a sphere with the object at the center; and
>     looking
>     around where the device motion is at a fixed point and can orient
>     to any
>     angle. In both of these cases, there is a fixed (non-translated) point
>     -- either the object, or the initial camera XYZ position.
>
>     The 'type' field already as a "LOOKAT". In fact the spec document
>     (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html#NavigationInfo)
>     specifically describes how to navigate about an object in this manner
>     using '"LOOKAT" "EXAMINE"'. For this case, perhaps all that is
>     needed is
>     to take (or at least allow) navigation control to come from the
>     device.
>     Something like a new field "SFBool [in,out] navigationSensor FALSE".
>
>     Comments?
>

>     --
>     *Leonard Daly*
>     X3D Co-Chair
>     Cloud Consultant
>     President, Daly Realism - /Creating the Future/

>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

>     This is related but not identical to my previous message "Mobile
> [...]

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
X3D Co-Chair on Sabbatical
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Chair