[x3d-public] proposed CAD Working Group Agenda, Thursday 7 April, 0800 pacific

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:29:33 PDT 2016

Attendees:  Meghan Coakley, Vince Marchetti, Christophe Mouton, Dick Puk, Roy Walmsley, Don Brutzman.

Regrets, with interest: Hyokwang Lee and Soonhung Han.  Don will follow up with them in a corresponding teleconference (to be announced).

We met as planned on Thursday 7 April, 0800-0930 pacific time.

     http://www.web3d.org/calendar/month

     http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

a. Introductions and work progress discussion

Interesting discussion on AP-242 tessellation exchange which may be and current practices with B-Reps, X3D.

	http://www.ap242.org

	http://www.steptools.com/support/stdev_docs/express/ap242/index.html

b.Consider Web3D 2016 workshop on

     3D Printing and 3D Scanning for CAD and X3D

     http://web3d2016.web3d.org

     http://web3d2016.web3d.org/submissions/workshops

Original agenda draft from 3 April:

	http://web3d.org/mailman/private/cad_web3d.org/2016-April/000481.html

Edited version follows.

Title: Web3D 2016 Workshop on "CAD, Additive Manufacturing, 3D Printing and 3D Scanning"

Motivation: determine whether a combined, harmonized approach to "CAD, Additive Manufacturing, 3D Printing and 3D Scanning" makes sense for X3D.

Goals:
- Briefly review state-of-the-art progress in four fast-moving but related, overlapping fields:
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD) modeling, Additive Manufacturing (AM) processes, 3D Printing, and 3D Scanning.
- Workshop attendees will present, compare and collate goal requirements for X3D in these arenas.
- Important checkpoint: feasibility of a single common X3D Profile for CAD, AM, 3D Printing and 3D Scanning.
- If needed, outline a Call for Contributions to address any expected gaps.
- Workshop results will serve as the basis for focusing 2016 efforts by the X3D CAD Working Group.

Related: consider 1-hour to look at NIH 3D Print Exchange, held as an overlapping session with a paired workshop on Medical visualization.  Topics of mutual interest include medical AM, metadata, security and archival records.  Hopefully that workshop would include contributions by both Medical and H-Anim working groups.