[x3d-public] Latitude/Longitude units

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:16:43 PDT 2016

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/geodata.html#Specifyinggeospatialcoords

defines that coordinates in the GD geoSystem are given in angular base
units.

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/concepts.html#t-Standardunits

defines the standard angle unit to be radians.

Cobweb interpretes this to mean latitude/longitude in geoCoords are given
in radians which I think should not be the intention of the spec. All
geospatial example scenes use degrees. So I hope this is a
misinterpretation.

Although section 25.2.4 as linked goes on to assume that the base angular
unit is degrees, it is a bit unclear what unit is really expected.

If more precise language is needed, I suggest simply to add "angular base
units of degrees" to section 25.2.4 .

Andreas