[x3d-public] [geospatial] Latitude/Longitude units

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:09:28 PDT 2016

Hi Roy,

it would be nice to get input from other members of the geospatial working
group.
If I would remain the only voice in the geospatial working group to have an
opinion on the angle units question, should the proposed change then be
made ? At first glance, it breaks backward compatibility but in effect the
text change would maintain it, as de facto use is units of degrees even in
3.3.

I agree that  the specification of the *_first options should be moved to
section 25.2.3 as they relate to the geoSystem field. The choice of
ellipsoid is completely independent.

What about this ?

Section 25.2.3 second paragraph:

Add after Geodetic spatial reference frame (latitude/longitude):

The order of latitude and longitude in geographic coordinates is controlled
by an optional argument. If "latitude_first" is specified, the order is
latitude then longitude. If "longitude_first" is specified, the order is
longitude then latitude. If neither is specified, "latitude_first" is the
default.

Section 25.2.4 second paragraph:

remove:
"If "latitude_first" is specified, the order is latitude then longitude. If
"longitude_first" is specified, the order is longitude then latitude. If
neither is specified, "latitude_first" is the default."
Perhaps link the word geoSystem in first sentence to Section 25.2.3.

and the exact equivalent for UTM (third paragraphs).

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.