[x3d-public] GeoPositionInterpolator revision for V4.0

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:29:44 PDT 2016

I would like to revisit my proposal and spec. comment on a revision to
GeoPositionInterpolator concerning great circle interpolation for v 4.0:

http://web3d.org/mailman/private/geospatial_web3d.org/2015-November/000087.html
following up on
http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2015-November/003880.html

The proposal was to introduce a Boolean field "onGreatCircle" which would
select a great circle path for interpolation between two geospatial
locations.

Alternatively, rather than introducing a new field it may suffice to simply
clarify in the appropriate spec. section that by default great circle
interpolation is recommended for consistency across geoSystems and across
browsers. This could be a recommendation and not a requirement but possibly
with a qualifier that future spec. revisions will actually require great
circle interpolation.

I like this better because it is a bit more straightforward, and does not
put any obligations on x3d browser implementers if they do not wish to
follow the recommendation, at least right away.
The disadvantage is that there is a potential for a diverging browser
behaviours but this potential also exists currently, without having any
additions.

Is there support for such a revision ? Any suggestions or reasons to not
introduce such a revision ?

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch