[x3d-public] Towards an ACID-like test for X3D

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Aug 10 06:57:21 PDT 2016

Thanks Seva, looks quite helpful.

It would be great if anyone wants to help with the Xj3D codebase.  Open source.

It has been awhile since anyone has updated the wiki pages regarding status of their players or tools regarding node support.

	Player support for X3D components
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components

	Tool support for X3D components
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/Tool_support_for_X3D_components

I've been able to maintain a X3D Node Inventory Comparison which shows implementation coverage of the X3D Abstract Specification for some assets:
*     Validation using X3D Schema, X3D DOCTYPE, and X3D Schematron
*    X3D Tooltips and VRML97 node sets
*    X3D-Edit, X3DOM, Cobweb and Xj3D implementations

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.xlsx
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.pdf

X3D-Edit does provide support for installing and launching multiple X3D players at once, which can help with such testing.

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/OptionsX3dViewersPanel.png
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/OptionsX3dViewersSelectFromScene.png

as well as tools

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/X3D-EditPreferencesX3dAuthoringTools.png
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/OptionsX3dAuthoringToolsSelectFromScene.png

Important:  X3D Validator is finding some problems in Castle.x3d scene that probably relate to the issues you've found.

--------- Commence validation checks for Castle.x3d ---------

Performing well-formed XML check...
Checking file:/C:/Users/don/Desktop/Castle.x3d...
Well-formed XML check: pass

Performing DOCTYPE check...
[X3dDoctypeChecker] success: valid XML declaration found; success: final X3D 3.3 DOCTYPE found.

Performing DTD validation...
Checking file:/C:/Users/don/Desktop/Castle.x3d...
XML DTD validation: pass

Performing X3D schema validation...
Checking file:/C:/Users/don/Desktop/Castle.x3d...
Referenced entity at "nbres:/org/web3d/x3d/externals/schemas/x3d-3.3-Web3dExtensionsPublic.xsd".
XML schema validation: pass

Performing X3D regular expression (regex) values check...

Performing X3dToClassicVrml.xslt conversion check...

Performing X3D Schematron check...
<TriangleSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[6]/TriangleSet, error]
<TriangleStripSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[7]/TriangleStripSet, error]
<TriangleFanSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[8]/TriangleFanSet, error]
<IndexedTriangleSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[9]/IndexedTriangleSet, error]
<IndexedTriangleStripSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[10]/IndexedTriangleStripSet, error]
<IndexedTriangleFanSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[11]/IndexedTriangleFanSet, error]
<TriangleSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[12]/TriangleSet, error]
<TriangleStripSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[13]/TriangleStripSet, error]
<TriangleFanSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[14]/TriangleFanSet, error]
<IndexedTriangleSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[15]/IndexedTriangleSet, error]
<IndexedTriangleStripSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[16]/IndexedTriangleStripSet, error]
<IndexedTriangleFanSet DEF=''/> missing coordIndex array for contained Coordinate node [/X3D/Scene/Group/Shape[17]/IndexedTriangleFanSet, error]

--------- Validation checks complete for Castle.x3d ---------

The online version is also encountering a problem plotting an extrusion crossSection, but I think the scene is OK. Will investigate server/stylesheet configuration.

> Performing X3D to XHTML pretty-print listing check (Quality Assurance (QA) overview) ...
> Error type: Fatal error XPathException: Failed to create output file file:/_svg/.Extrusion1.svg
> Internal error caught:
> net.sf.saxon.trans.XPathException: Failed to create output file file:/_svg/.Extrusion1.svg Error(s) detected during this validation test.
> X3D to XHTML pretty-print listing check: fail.

If you think any of these are false positives, please advise and I will check the X3D Schematron rules further.

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#QualityAssurance

As always, thanks for your efforts.

On 8/9/2016 1:23 PM, Alekseyev, Vsevolod (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> For my latest X3D implementation, I've put together a scene that deliberately contains all the geometries under Geometry3D and Rendering modules. You can see the scene at http://www.jishop.com/temp/x3d/#Castle (click Download to get the X3D file).
>
> It demonstrates the following geometry nodes:
>  - Box
>  - Cone
>  - Cylinder
>  - Sphere
>  - ElevationGrid
>  - Extrusion
>  - IndexedFaceSet
>  - IndexedTriangleFanSet (x2)
>  - IndexedTriangleSet  (x2)
>  - IndexedTriangleStripSet  (x2)
>  - TriangleFanSet  (x2)
>  - TriangleSet  (x2)
>  - TriangleStripSet (x2)
>
> The only widely available browser that renders it as intended is Cobweb, with InstantPlayer as a close second, some shading looking weird. X3DOM misses half the merlons, and misshades the CW ones. Xj3D badly misrenders the balcony extrusion (which is *not* pathological). Meshlab skips all primitives but Cylinder.
>
> Triangle set geometries are present twice, once as CCW and once as CW, to test the correctness of vertex flipping.
>
> The following polygonal geometries are *not* present in the file:
>
>  - Disk2D
>  - Rectangle2D
>  - TriangleSet2D
>  - Text