[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] x3dom Open points, and development with Java

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Aug 12 08:36:22 PDT 2016

[cc: x3d-public due to general nature of the question]

Generating X3DOM scenes from a server is similar (perhaps identical) to generating HTML pages from a server.

An X3DOM page is simply HTML with contained X3D content alongside the HTML source in the document body.  Add x3dom.js and x3dom.css references in the head section and you are done.  So your question is similar to "can you produce HTML or XML with Java" - a very big YES.

X3D-Edit authoring tool is written in Java as a Netbeans plugin/application.  It lets you take a .x3d scene and wrap all the html needed for X3DOM by using an XSLT stylesheet.  The same technique also supports Cobweb as an alternate to X3DOM.

	http:/www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dToX3dom.xslt

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit

	Panel utilities: improved X3D-Edit author workflow includes HTML5 DOM export (using either X3DOM or Cobweb)
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/X3D-EditX3domCobwebLaunch.png

Current work includes production of a Java Scene Access Interface (SAI) open-source implementation, autogenerated from X3D XML Schema and X3D Object Model respectfully.  Alpha release online (see Javadoc for current API, which matches the existing X3D Java language binding).  All open source, version control on Sourceforge.

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/java/javadoc
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DObjectModel-3.3.xml
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/CreateX3dSceneAccessInterfaceJava.xslt

Other top-quality open-source server-side implementations that include production of custom HTML/X3D with X3DOM include

	MBARI | Spatial Temporal Oceanographic Query System (STOQS) Data
	http://stoqs.mbari.org

	NIH 3D Print Exchange
	http://3dprint.nih.gov

A comparison of supported features between X3DOM and Cobweb (and a number of other X3D assets) can be found at the following links. A lot is there.

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.xlsx
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.pdf

Of note:  Cobweb has achieved the X3D Immersive Profile support (which matches the VRML97 palette).  X3DOM has not yet reached that level of capability, nor apparently have any new nodes been added this year.  Conversations at the recent Web3D Conference in Anaheim explored how X3DOM community and X3DOM capabilities might advance a bit more strategically, but it is not yet clear how that group will proceed together.

So, as you can see, there is quite a bit happening.  Expect more to emerge in the coming months, especially as the Java SAI work proceeds - beta testing will be welcome.  As with this message, the activity will likely involve both X3DOM codebase developers/users and the X3D community.

It is exciting to see these many opportunities unfolding!  More progress is expected in the coming months, and there are many good ways to contribute.

Questions welcome.   Good luck with your work.